Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Easy Baby Blanket


I came up with an easy baby blanket the other day that I wanted to share with you.  If you need a baby shower present in a hurry, or just want to make a quick blanket for a little one, this project is for you!

I used a package of flannel receiving blankets from my stash. You can easily find these blankets at Target or Wal-mart, they come 4 to a package and are color coordinated and are usually around $10 or so. Mine were 30 X 30 in size. You could use these pre-made blankets or buy some baby flannel at the fabric store and cut them to size; I just used what I had on hand.

After choosing two I liked, I decided to personalize it by appliqueing baby Evan's name on it. I used my handy-dandy alphabet letters I found at Hancock Fabrics:



and some red cotton fabric I had in my stash. Once I fused the letters onto the front of the blanket, I simply zig-zag stitched around the letters to secure them:



Once that was done, I put the blankets pretty sides together and stitched a 1/4 seam all the way around, leaving an opening for turning. Make sure you trim your corners.

I then turned it, pressed it good with a hot iron and top-stitched all the way around using red thread (this will close the opening you made for turning).

It did not take me very long to make and I think it came out really cute. Here are a few more photos:


Sometimes these pre-purchased receiving blankets are not really square, so you may need to square them up before you start sewing.

If I left anything out, or you have any questions, feel free to leave me a comment or send me an e-mail (azbelle3@yahoo.com).  Happy Sewing!

I'm linking up to:

HookingupwithHoH


2 comments :

Stephanie C. said...

That's a really great idea!

~Stephanie from http://redberrycrafts.blogspot.com/

glor said...

What a great blanket. Thanks for sharing.