I made my first quilted table runner last week and I am so proud of it. I think it came out pretty good for my first try:
I did it all without a pattern too! First I made the three squares, using my Strip Tube Ruler to make the inside pieces... so easy and fun to use. Then I added the sashing and little block pieces to it.
I love the fabric I used for the interior of the squares; it was part of a jelly roll that I got over a year ago and had never even opened! The beige fabric is some muslin, and I had the green fabric and the fabric for the blocks and binding in my stash.
Once I made my quilt sandwich, I just followed along the design on the front. It came out really nicely on the back:
Next time I will use a contrasting thread color to really make it pop. This time when I quilted it I did not use my walking foot and it worked much better - no puckering on either the front or back. Maybe I will just use my regular presser foot from now on!
I found a neat trick to use for the binding - Steam a Seam! Yep, this binding is not even sewn down on the back.. I just used Steam a Seam around it! I would not recommend it for a quilt or something that you will wash frequently, but for this table runner it worked perfectly. The next quilt I do I may use it just down to hold down the binding to make it easier to sew (much better than pins or clips I would think).
I can't wait to make more table runners now... I see Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas ones in my future!