Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sew a Candle Cozy



I just introduced a friend of mine to sewing, and she has embraced it full force. She is converting a room in her house to a sewing room, so I wanted to make her something for her new crafting space.

I saw this idea somewhere on the web, but I didn't bookmark it.  Mine is different from hers in that I did not quilt mine and add a buttonhole closure to it. That is because I am still deathly afraid of the buttonholer on my sewing machine and have not gotten up the courage to try it yet! So I substituted a pony tail holder instead. Oh, and mine is reversible!



If I make another one, I'll do a couple of things differently. I will use different buttons, as mine ended up being way more decorative than functional:


It has a bit of a gape at the top once it is buttoned, so next time I may do two closures, one near the top and one near the bottom, rather than just the one in the middle.  I could have probably cut my fabric a little smaller too, but I was just sort of winging it. It was kind of tricky trying to sew on two buttons at the same time, but I managed.


This was a really quick, easy project. I cut out my fabrics, and I added some batting between the two layers to give it some thickness. I tucked the pony tail holder between the layers of fabric and stitched over it several times, both before I turned it and during the topstitching.

I think this would make a great last-minute gift that you could sew up in a hurry.

I also printed out a sewing printable for her that I found here. It is in her right sidebar towards the bottom under "Fresh Free Art" and there are several colors/styles available.


I sure hope she likes these for her new crafting space!

Linked up with:

No comments :